Sunday, February 28, 2010

That's our policy

“I just closed my account after 44 years of being at the same bank,” my friend said.
The comment came out of the blue as I walked into her office, but it was apparent by her demeanor that she attached no small amount of importance to her action. It was a big decision.

“I was 18 years old when my dad took me to the bank to open my own checking account,” she continued, “and I’ve had that account for 44 years.”

Her decision to change banks, she said, came after a series of experiences convinced her the now-corporate-owned bank either did not care for her as a customer or was unable to tend to her needs from its corporate offices on the West Coast.

The experience of closing her account seemed to underscore her root problem.

After walking into the bank, she talked to two or three different people who led her through the forms and signatures to close her account. Finally, an officer joined the process to check off on everything and, just like that, a 44-year relationship dissolved.

“And the thing is,” she said, “not a single person asked me why I was closing the account. My first question would be, ‘Are you planning to transfer to another type of account with us?’ or ‘Is there some sort of problem?’ Nobody seemed to care that I was leaving.”

Going undercover


Her experiences led to a discussion about the new television “reality” show, “Undercover Boss.”

The concept of the 3-week-old show is that a CEO of a major corporation goes undercover to work at the front lines of the company. So far, the scenario has been that someone was filming a documentary about changing careers and was following this person around doing one-day samples of different jobs.

In each episode, the CEO (so far, they have been from Waste Management, Hooters and 7-Eleven; next Sunday the show features White Castle) spends a week visiting different work sites around the country and is assigned someone to give the “new hire” a taste of what the job is like.

It’s no surprise the CEOs find the jobs more difficult than they anticipated. They also find problems to address.

However, they also discover employees who make a positive impression on customers, employees who perform amazing work in the face of serious personal challenges, employees who ... in my opinion ... deserve better than corporate management removed from everything but the bottom line.

That has been my personal observation over the years: detached corporate concerns hovering around the bottom line are damaging to employees, the product or service, and to customers.

My friend’s experience is a perfect example. In the past, she knew people at the bank and they knew her. She asked for help with a problem and they worked out a solution. They presumably cared about her and definitely cared about keeping her business.

There are so few locally owned businesses these days that this disconnect between customer and owner seems to be commonly accepted. People just deal with their frustrations because they feel they cannot talk to someone in Arkansas about the root of their problems.

Of course, consumers jumped into business relationships with chain stores, banks, restaurants and even barber shops. We hold the power to help locally owned businesses succeed by trading with them. That does come at a literal cost because they do not have the purchasing power of a chain, so we must determine if saving that business is worth the money to us.

Or, we can wait until local stores are all run out of another state or country and we have to accept what they give us because, “That’s our corporate policy.”
- - -
Web site for "Undercover Boss" - click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your column with interest. I'm 67, and I grew up with Texas
bankers who did business with a handshake. They were careful who they
shook hands with, but they knew their customers. Now, banks are simply
terminals on a mainframe. They can take huge risks (as we've seen) by
paying more attention to the numbers than the customer. I can't imagine
why anyone would have any loyalty to any bank ... and my father was bank
officer. Times have changed, and loyalty to any bank simply doesn't make
any sense because 'local' doesn't mean much where banks are concerned.

I'd also like to address your 'buy local' suggestion. I recently wore
out my old recliner (something we fat old men can do every few years). I
could have gone to Sam's Club or any of the myriad chain stores, but I
decided to go to Knight's on the square to keep the business local. I
bought the recliner for several hundred dollars more than I could have
bought one at Haverty's. While I was there, I asked about Simmons
Beautyrest Foam Pillows. Although Knight's had no information, they
promised to check. A few days later, they called back and said that they
weren't available from Simmons. A month or so later, I was on Amazon.com
and fed the information to their search engine, and two of the pillows
were delivered free of shipping charges to me a few days later.

I don't mind paying more to 'keep business local' and 'help the local
economy', but I guess I believe that those extra dollars should buy more
than a cursory interest in my business. When I can get BETTER service
from a Washington state store, shouldn't I patronize it?

I understand your plea, I believe, but I also believe that retailing is
simply going through a sea change which will 'thin the herd'
drastically. If you can't give BETTER than online service, why should
anyone care whether you survive or not?

Thanks for writing an interesting article which (clearly) provoked some
thinking on my part. (Not necessarily 'clear' thinking. )