Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What is Christmas?


Originally published Dec. 24, 2003

What is Christmas to you?

Roscoe: Hmm. Good question. I guess it's a nice break from routine. That includes parties and fun times with friends like all of us here. I mean, would we all be here tonight if it wasn't for Christmas?

Anne: We could still have parties, but, you're right, we probably wouldn't find the time. The first thing that pops into my mind is all the wonderful food. And it's all fat-free, right?

Jonelle: You wish.

Deborah: Care for another fat-free eggnog?

Jonelle: It's the music. Case closed. Christmas, to me, is the music. "Silent Night," "Winter Wonderland" and "Jingle Bell Rock."

Kent: There you go. Classical Christmas music with "Jingle Bell Rock." That just makes you warm all over.

Little Tommy: Daddy?

Kent: Not now, son.

Susan: Maybe not warm like a chick flick, but the song is at least happy. And therein lies my Christmas. I enjoy seeing the faces of people when I wish them a merry Christmas. You don't get smiles that big the rest of the year. Yeah, I like the holiday because it's a time when folks are more likely to be happy.

Bill: Roscoe looks pretty happy.

Roscoe: Gimme a break. I already said my Christmas was time with friends, so I'm just soaking it up ... the friendship, that is. You haven't answered the question, Bill.

Mark: Bill treasures his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

Susan: What in the world does that mean?

Deborah: I think it means that Mark is just as happy as Roscoe.

Tommy: Mom?

Jonelle: The grownups are talking right now, Tommy.

Bill: OK, must I be the honest one here? It's the crass commercialization. Yes, my name is Bill and I like getting presents.

Deborah: Don't worry, Bill. Anne tells me you've been a relatively good boy this year.

Anne: Don't over-inflate his hopes or his ego; I only said that I finally got him trained to leave the toilet seat down most of the time.

Mark: Say it ain't so. Roscoe, Kent, put the word out through the macho underground. Bill's gone over to the other side.


Bill: Cute, Mark. Speaking of cute, that's a darling little pullover you're wearing. Did you knit it yourself?

Mark: Careful, there, toilet seat master, lest you tread on my favorite part of Christmas, my family. Yes, this darling little pullover is indeed handmade, lovingly knitted and perled just for me.

Deborah: And you love it, too.

Mark: Yes, dear, I love it, too.

Deborah: Clothes are my favorite part of Christmas and I don't just mean making them. I love to be able to wear holly and Santa and reindeer and candy cane designs and not feel strange.

Kent: I can't believe we've not mentioned the most obvious thing about Christmas. How many times have you heard it? Christmas is for kids.

Susan: Well, of course. I guess we just thought that went without saying. You're right; it wouldn't be quite the same without them.

Tommy: Daddy!

Kent: Now, Tommy, what did I tell you?

Tommy: Sorry, Daddy.

Brief silence.

Anne: Oh, the irony.

Kent: Son, I'm sorry. What is it?

Tommy: I know what Christmas is.

Jonelle: That's great, Tommy. Say it nice and loud so we can all hear.

Tommy: It's the birthday of Jesus. Right?


(c)  2009 by Steve Martaindale



No comments: