Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Madness fun

Are you ready for some NCAA basketball tournament Madness?

A Texas Voice is sponsoring a somewhat different approach to the traditional tournament bracket pick’em contest. I’ve set it up under Yahoo’s fantasy sports and have named the group Crazy Brackets.

Why? I’d like to see just how wild we can get and see if anything that’s “out there” might be just crazy enough to do well. As a side benefit, you can pick a serious bracket and not feel bad if it performs poorly.

All you need to do is follow this link, sign up with your Yahoo account or an e-mail address, name your bracket and start picking. Should it ask for them, the group number is 158733 and the password is ATexasVoice.

Each person is allowed up to five brackets. I’ve just started my first, where my choices will be based on the mascots. I might pick one team because its mascot is cooler, in my opinion, or because I think its mascot could beat up the other team’s mascot; we’ll see.

One might pick based on team colors, a dream bracket where your favorite team has four upset wins, one for or against all the teams in a particular conference or region of the country, one based on which team has more vowels in its name ... whatever.

Keep in mind the deadline. You can make and change your picks as often as you like, but in order to play, you must enter your final bracket picks before the first game of the tournament, scheduled for about 11 a.m. CDT Thursday.

When you name your bracket, give us a clue about your picking logic. My first bracket, for example, I named “Picked by Mascots.”

Invite friends, if you’d like. Please direct them to atexasvoice.blogspot.com to read this (and I want to get them landing on my blog, naturally).

Finally, the league is limited to 500 members, so you’d better get busy!

(c) 2011 by Steve Martaindale   

No comments: