Sunday, July 18, 2010

Oh, that’s different

(c) 2010 by Steve Martaindale
Originally released for publication July 7, 2010



It all started with a television commercial for some furniture store.

“I’m not a licensed interior decorator,” the spokeswoman said, “but ...”

I softly snorted to myself, “I don’t think they license interior decorators.”

Sure, there’s likely a self-governing organization that accredits interior decorators who adhere to certain standards and who avoid too many complaints. Maybe it even requires some sort of continuing education – likely through classes it offers – but it’s not probable the state gets involved with testing, registering and licensing interior decorators.

Right?

As is often my habit once a question takes over my brain, I started researching it. I found online sites supporting my assumption and others saying some states do regulate interior decorators.

Let’s go right to my greatest concern and determine whether Texas licenses and regulates the industry.

Eventually, I landed on the home Web page of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR, of course), “a state regulatory agency that currently oversees over 20 types of businesses, industries, trades and occupations” (including all of those mentioned below).

Many occupations consider it a given that they must submit to bureaucratic oversight. At the top of the list is the medical profession.

There are all kinds of state agencies peering into the world of medicine and for good reason. Taxpayers figure the state should protect them from snake oil salesmen and the like. Public health issues include taking measures to prevent the spread of diseases.

We want that.

We’re also OK with making sure folks dealing with dangerous stuff know what they’re doing. That could include everything from air conditioner repairmen to electricians to pesticide applicators.


UP TO CODE

Architects and engineers are responsible for structures that might host thousands of people at one time; we need to make sure they are built by qualified people.

For others, we need to check their backgrounds and make sure they know what they’re doing because they are in positions with power or influence over people. People like police officers, certified public accountants and educators.

I wonder about other licenses.

The state requires barbers and cosmetologists undergo training, testing and licensing. There might be a good reason for that, perhaps even an outdated one, I don’t know.

Tow truck operators seems a little of a reach to me. My first thought is existing laws should cover the business well enough, but, again, I do not have inside information.

Similarly, auctioneers, landscape architects, and sign language and oral interpreters must be licensed by the state of Texas. I’m sure my imagination could come up with a reason why, but it might be a bit far-fetched.

But then, sure enough, I learned the TDLR does indeed license and regulate interior designers.

What? How can they justify that? It’s like requiring an artist to submit to governmental oversight.

I started looking at information available through the state and, initially, found little more than rules about paying fees and using the department’s logo.

Finally, I ventured to the Web site of the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners, which directly oversees interior designers, and found some information about “barrier-free design” and the Texas Accessibility Standards.

Slightly confused, I then saw what you’ve already pickup up on. Texas licenses interior “designers,” not interior “decorators.”

With apologies to Gilda Radner and her memorable character, Emily Litella ... “Never mind.”

No comments: